Thursday 17 February 2011

Day 194, Legacy

Day 194, Legacy is something that preoccupies a lot of thought. In politics it is important to conceptualise as a plan of action for a government. For individuals it is often more personal, having a family, a home to pass on or a business to build. Now in the latter half of my time at Mseleni, I have begun to realise that though I am one of many transients here, there may be an opportunity to leave a legacy behind.

Last week I had my first sitting of the Psychiatric Committee, one of more than a dozen committees beavering away in the hospital environs. As doctors we are allocated either through choice or randomly to these to try and work towards bettering the service we provide to staff and patients. I am also a member of the Suggestion Box Committee and the Nutrition Committee. Though not individually, this is an institutional encouragement to work on lasting changes. Working with nurses, social workers pharmacists amongst other long staying staff means that any plans I may be bringing to the table should be maintained in my absence. Though often it feels like a forum to say a lot of things that will never be auctioned.

My own pet project is one that was conceived in conjunction with one of my friends who have now departed. In an attempt to catch Mseleni up with the rest of the world, we felt a computerised record of chronic diseases, and their management should be kept as a way of monitoring individual treatment but also the population as a whole. In theory it should be fairly uncomplicated but when you take into account a minimally computer literate workforce, lack of modern equipment and already busy clinics it becomes rather more challenging.

I would hope my legacy would include the effects on individuals I have met, personally, professionally and on the doctor/patient basis. Of course I would like to think they are on the whole positive but I am realistic enough to know that some will not be.

Legacy essentially seems to be the innate instinct to leave a lasting impression. Why we seemed to be programmed to want to better those who we leave behind is up for debate, whether this is altruism or indeed borne of selfishness. Only time will tell what I can achieve to leave behind here at Mseleni.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw2vBYBE24Y

2 comments:

  1. I've always used (stole from West Wing) the phrase "Legacy Shopping" in my head, but never had the context to write / say it out loud - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll hold my hands up, I may have been watching that episode recently

    ReplyDelete