Wednesday 11 August 2010

Day 1

Day 1, flew into Durban today and was feeling mightily unsettled. It was a long journey, and its still a four and half hours away from my ultimate destination. Anytime I want a big city, that’s the journey I’ll have to make. As the Emirates crew brought round the dry sandwiches and the billionth cup of tea our descent had started. The view outside was of rolling hills over marvelous landscape, postcardesque, the sun gloriously golden, and about to dip down for the day. It may have been a combination of the anticipation of finally landing and the awe inspiring vista, or it may been the sweet serenade of Kylie Minogue in my ears but for the first time in weeks, I was feeling positive about this. Nothing dampened my spirit, even when the immigration officer asked “Do you know where Mseleni is? It’s very rural you know?”, her single golden tooth shining as she threw me an awkward smile.

Once in Durban and after a quick change at the hotel the next stop was to try and join the others on the aquarium tour. A mock up of a holed out old ship it could have been any tourist trap in the world. However as we arrived late, there was only two of us wondering through the eerie faux bowels of the vessel. It was wonderfully atmospheric as we walked through the various exhibits with just the ambient ship noises piped in to soundtrack the various exhibits including angel fish, sharks, rock lobsters, jellyfish and giant turtles to name but a few.

The neighbouring restaurant, and our dinner venue, wafted seafood aromas as we wandered through, oddly unsettling as the exhibit made me hungry whilst walking past signs of endangered species. At dinner we met with the rest of the group and our hosts from AHP. My first meal in SA was next to a giant shark tank . Conversation turned towards the minutiae of bank accounts and mobile phones, apartheid and our motivation for this undertaking. I think I rambled something incoherent which sounded even worse in my head, but all the while I just couldn’t help but think that getting my PADI might not be a great idea with the sharks roaming about.

‘tis late so I’ll end there as jet lag is settling in, the thought of a bed and proper pillows is too enticing.

laters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekPRAeHc-L4


1 comment:

  1. Good to see you survived Day 1. Now for 364 more...

    P.S. Do you know "Hakuna" actually translates to "There is no". Ominous? On that point, there's this list of things you shouldn't do...

    ReplyDelete