Wednesday 8 December 2010

Day 118, Cheetahs and Turtles



Day 118, Infinitely cool. I can’t really explain it any other way. In London there is never a dearth of activities however as with so many things, the scale here is massively different. Over the past couple of days I have had the privilege to be enamoured with the beauty of what is on offer in this country. Yesterday, after work I was licked by a cheetah, today I watched as a turtle laid her eggs.

Just an hours’ drive from Mseleni there is a sanctuary and rehabilitation centre for some of the bigger cats in the region. They have a selection of servals and caracals, not to mention cheetahs. With two of my friends due to leave soon, they have been making a concerted effort to sample all the region has to offer before their departure, luckily I get to tag along.

So it turned out that a short while after leaving work I was sitting in and amongst three cheetahs who munched on a healthy portion of chicken and then proceeded to lick my arm with their coarse sand paper tongues. These beautiful beasts were amenable to being petted, touched and the male even lay down on my lap purring as I worried about my right arm and his head on my crotch.

In the spirit of making every day count, today we shot off after work towards the beach. The weather wasn’t brilliant but then we weren’t there for a swim. It’s the turtle laying season and they have been spotted up and down the coast. I saw one on my Friday clinic flight, but it was only a brief glimpse. I needed to see one up close, and my friend’s Landrover can drive on the beach

As we got stuck in the sand and the light started fading I had given up hope of seeing a turtle. However waiting for the tow truck we spied some rocks in the distance. We chanced a walk further along the bay and alas the rock moved! It was a loggerhead turtle slowly making her way up the beach to lay her eggs.

The animals were amazing to see and a brilliant experience but the fact that I can do this after a days work is what I still can’t get over. It is simply too cool.





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8mMBT62rgQ

1 comment: