Saturday 27 November 2010

Day 107, Cinema

Day 107, After my last blog I thought it would be nice to take a little diversion of topic and discuss something that many know is a passion, nay obsession of mine, the cinema. My nearest cinema is a good two and a half hour drive and even then its selection of films is fairly limited, needless to say I haven’t made the trip.

In amongst all the crazy trips and weekends on call this is the first weekend I’ve found myself with no fixed plans and no friends available to hatch something crazy with. With old habits dying hard I travelled down to Durban and indulged in a behemoth of a multiplex.

I’ll be the first to admit, I’ve taken these for granted in the past. I sneer at the concession stands, get frustrated by the ticket queues and become vexed by the chattering masses. At home I would go every week but choose the late shows where I can be sure to avoid most of these irritations.

However after three months of “sobriety” I embraced the garish joys of the Gateway multiplex cinema. I made sure I was there in time for the trailers, such glorious little vignettes of coming attractions I have no hope of keeping up with! For my momentous return to the throws of the cinema I chose The Social Network.

What has always appealed to me about films is their ability to inspire and elate as well as entertain, but I’ve never really found it a source of escapism. However out here the escapism element is much more relevant to me. It was fantastic to completely switch off from what I encounter on an almost daily basis.

To cap the experience, I can sit a cafe, sip a drink and use their broadband to write about it. It’s amazing what becomes a luxury when you don’t have it. I am sure when I get back to my old life, all of this will be mundane again and I’ll be laughing when I reflect on the simplicity of my life in the bush, wondering how I ever did without this.

For all the fancy and xv adventurous travelling, all the weird and wonderful medicine I am seeing and all the crazy life experiences it is the simple things that I don’t have that will have the most lasting effect on me.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMqXj-eVCjI

No comments:

Post a Comment